Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Beyond Suffering

I was reminded the other day of the important teachings regarding suffering. We need not suffer. Suffering comes from our reactions to external stimuli. When we do not allow ourselves to become reactive, we do not suffer. Pain comes from allowing things outside ourselves to stir our internal flame.

I like to imagine that at my core is a candle. The fire is forever steady and calm until some wind is allowed to stir it. If I do not allow the wind to blow in my sanctuary, then my candle burns steadily and without fail. The candle fills me with warmth and light. It gives me all the glow and strength I need to feel peaceful and happy.

When I notice my flame being swayed by a breeze, I need to take control of my mind and my reactions. The best way I have found to do this is to focus on my breath. When I feel myself becoming agitated or wound up, I just need to stop and slow my breathing. It helps to close my eyes and to focus only on the breath for a time. Eventually, I feel my heart rate decrease and my mind begins to slow. The breath takes me back to a state of equilibrium. Since I began this practice to overcome suffering, I have only become minimally agitated. Even those feelings pass quickly with each breath.

Remember, you alone can control your suffering so turn inward, breath and watch your reactions.