Saturday, November 14, 2009

Gratitude: Part 1

It can be so easy to become overly focused on what is not working in our lives. We fixate on what is lacking, how we are not fulfilled, how it seems so hard to get our basic needs met. Sometimes it is important to just stop and reflect on everything that is working in our lives, everything we do "have." When we stop to truly count our blessings, we remember that our lives are not all trial and challenges.

When we remember what we have, we can begin to fill our hearts with gratitude. About a year ago, I could only seem to think about what was wrong in my life. Then, someone suggested I spend some time meditating on what I had to be grateful for. At first it was hard but every day I dutifully wrote out one thing I felt grateful for. As I continued to do this, I began to remember that my life was not so bad after all. In fact, the more I reflected, the greater it seemed.

This time of year is a perfect one for beginning your own mediations on gratitude. Every day, spend five minutes thinking of one things you are grateful for. If you can, write it down and look back on it in hard times. Today, fill your heart and mind with one thing you are grateful for and celebrate that thing during your practice, whatever it may be.