Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Why Push in Yoga?

When I first started yoga I went for the challenges to my flexibility and strength. I did Power Vinyasa and I was all about the "butt-kicking" workout. Then, in April of 2008, I was diagnosed with MS. At first, I could barely stand. My balance was shot. This changed my perspective on yoga.

I started taking therapeutic yoga designed people with auto-immune disorders. I backed off on my practice and focused on breath and meditation.

This summer I went to a "Strength and Flexibility" workshop with one of my favorite teachers. During the class, I found myself questioning the emphasis on strength, flexibility and speed. "Why would a teacher ask us to push?" I questioned.

One of my friends then explained it to me. A rigorous practice is designed to help us learn to push through challenges. It teaches us to overcome obstacles. it teaches us to deal with the tough stuff in life. It shows us how to use breath and focus to take on the hurdles life places before us. So sometimes you must embrace the challenge to learn what you are truly capable of.